Premier’s Awards for Aboriginal Youth Excellence in Sport
About the Awards
The Province of B.C. and the Aboriginal Sport Recreation and Physical Activity Partners Council (Partners Council) have collaborated to establish the Premier’s Awards for Aboriginal Youth Excellence in Sport to celebrate the outstanding achievements of Aboriginal youth athletes throughout the province.
The Premier’s Awards for Aboriginal Youth Excellence in Sport recognizes athletes who have achieved excellence in performance sport, are regarded for their leadership qualities, are committed to pursuing a higher education, and are recognized as community role models both on and off the field of play.
Nominations will be accepted for youth athletes under 25 years of age (born in 1992 or later) training and competing in performance sport. A total of 48 awards will be given out, eight awards (four male and four female) within each of the Partners Council’s six regions. Recipients will be honoured at Regional ceremonies conducted throughout November 2016.
To be eligible for the awards, an athlete must meet the following criteria:
- Has been a permanent resident of B.C. for the last 12 months
- Is of Aboriginal ancestry (First Nations, Métis and Inuit)
- Is currently registered with a B.C. Provincial Sport Organization and/or involved in a Partners Council program (including recognized regional/traditional sports)
- Is under the age of 25 (born in 1992 or later)
- Is actively participating in one or more sports (recognized provincial sports as well as regional/traditional sports) and shows evidence of high athletic ability and performance results
- Demonstrates leadership both on and off the field of play
- Is committed and dedicated to learning and academics and is actively pursuing or planning to pursue a post-secondary education
Note: Past Provincial recipients of the Premier’s Awards for Aboriginal Youth Excellence in Sport are not eligible to receive the award in subsequent years.
Nomination forms can be filled out online. If you are unable to complete the online form, please download the Word or PDF versions of the nomination and fill it out completely.
- Online: https://aboriginalsportbc.wufoo.com/forms/m11cz68q19h7nnk/ (this form cannot be saved and must be completed and submitted in one session. Please review the instructions in full prior to starting your online application.)
- Downloadable Word/PDF:
- Nomination Forms must be completed in full. Incomplete forms will NOT be considered.
- The deadline for nominations is – CLOSED
- Late applications will NOT be accepted.
Nominations must be received by the Partners Council on FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2016, by 4:30 pm. – CLOSED!
The Award’s selection committee will assess nominees using the following five criteria:
- Sport Achievements — Pursuing and achieving sport performances leading towards podium placements at provincial, national and international competitions
- Leadership Qualities — Demonstrating the qualities of leadership, coachability, strong work ethic, and the characteristics of fair play both on and off the field of play, as well as demonstrating a commitment to a healthy lifestyle and to their sport/community through volunteer activities
- Education — Demonstrating a commitment to academic studies and continued education
- Cultural Awareness — Demonstrating pride in their Aboriginal ancestry and being actively engaged in cultural activities
- Future Goals — Demonstrating how their experience in sport is shaping their future
Applicants must not contact members of the selection committee regarding the status of their nomination. All requests for information should be directed to the Aboriginal Sport Recreation and Physical Activity Partners Council.
Successful nominees will be notified in mid-October and invited to attend the formal regional ceremonies conducted throughout November 2016. Funding will be provided for each recipient to attend the Regional Awards ceremony.
Those athletes selected for the Regional Awards will automatically serve as nominees for the Provincial Awards. A total of 12 Provincial Awards (six male and six female) will be given out. Provincial recipients will receive an invitation to attend a special Aboriginal Youth Sport Leadership Forum held at Gathering our Voices Youth Conference in Kelowna, March 21 – 24, 2017.
Provincial Recipients will be notified February 20-24, 2017.
Inquiries and eligibility questions should be directed to:
P: (250) 388-5522 ext. 226